Subject: Re: "The Maid of Orleans"
From: Carol Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 13 Feb 2018 20:48:47 -0500

Joan has, over the centuries, inspired almost innumerable works of fiction
and nonfiction. Martina Warner discusses many of them in her Joan of Arc
(1981). Also worth noting about Joan: she's one of Shakespeare's first
memorable characters (in Henry VI, Part 1); he sees her as quite evil.

Tchaikovsky's opera about her is proof, as if more were needed, that it is
perfectly possible for a work to be immensely entertaining without being a
"masterpiece." Probably no one could face "Parsifal" every evening.