Subject: Re: "The Maid of Orleans"
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 13 Feb 2018 20:11:24 -0500

A second rate opera by a first rate composer is not to be
sneezed at; real problems arise when the best a second
rate composer can do, is urged on us.

There has always seemed to me to be a jinx of some kind
on the subject of Joan in works of art. Is there a truly outstanding
masterpiece by anyone in which she appears?   I saw a staging
of the Tschaikowsky work by a visiting Russian company years
ago, and thought there was much to enjoy, but still think the
composer might have been more inspired by a different heroine.

Someone is going to ask: "what about the Dreyer film";  being
unique, somehow makes it irrelevant. If the subject were compelling,
there would be many examples.

dtmk