Subject: Re: "The Maid of Orleans"
From: Genevieve Castle Room <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 13 Feb 2018 19:42:01 -0500

Jon Goldberg asked:

>"Who was it that said that Tchaikovsky's opera was 2nd rate, or some
nonsense like that?"

That was Elizabeth W. Patton who wrote:

>"Much of the music in this opera is uninspiring, as if Tchaikovsky had
watered down his style for an international audience. By and large, the
music consists of discouragingly long stretches of eminently forgettable
music and insipid dialogue, interspersed with stirring instrumental numbers
and occasional moments of great beauty, such as Joan's farewell to the
scene of her childhood in act 1. Though the two works are not without
interest, neither Schiller's play nor Tchaikovsky's opera are held in
universally high esteem today. Ultimately 'The Maid of Orleans' is most
interesting for its revelations about Tchaikovsky's operatic technique, his
interest in the successful tradition of French grand opera, and for his
ongoing efforts to achieve a major operatic success"