Subject: Re: Records
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 13 Feb 2018 19:26:01 -0500

My first CD purchase was the first recording of Sondheim's "Assassins" - the first
Sondheim cast recording not issued on LP - so if I wanted it, I had to buy it on CD. I don't
remember my first opera CD - except that as a much poorer starving musician in those
days, all those multi-CD sets seemed so much more expensive...

I remember that, in the early days of classical releases on CD, it could be frustrating to
keep track of what was new and what was reissued - partially due to the different length
of the CD, and the way CD's had to fill the space. Complete opera recordings weren't
generally a problem, but if I was looking for a short piece (say, a particular Bach cantata
or short choral piece, etc) it could be confusing to figure out what was being released for
the first time vs. things just being recycled/remastered. Luckily, my local Tower Records
always had multiple volumes of the Schwann catalog within reach...;-)