Subject: Female Composers: (was "The Mania for Inclusion")
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 8 Feb 2018 14:55:44 -0500

Clara Schumann wrote a number of beautiful works, though she knew “her
place” so orchestral works are fewer than solo or chamber music pieces.
Nonetheless, her piano concerto is at least as good as any in the standard
concerto repertoire and, I dare say, superior than a number that get
performed with far more frequency.  I remember hearing a recording not
all that long ago and a listener declaring, “I never knew a woman could
write music like that,” a commentary I found both hilariously ignorant . . .
and vile.  Of course, Frau Schumann was neither really a “woman” at 13
when she wrote this impressive, virtuoso work, nor was she Frau
Schumann yet.  One can only imagine what, if given the time to develop
her own skills how far she could have gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHnYlORpL5Q

Fanny Mendelssohn was considerably prolific and some of her orchestral
and choral works certainly should be better known.  I’m an enormous fan
of her oratorio, Bildern der Bibel, in which she reaches waaaaaay back and
evokes, and pays enormous homage to, the cantatas and passions of Bach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESwzisTrDzQ

Many of the symphonic works of Amy Beach are certainly impressive
enough, and along with a number of other women composers, are unduly
neglected by most orchestras, rarely getting any playtime.  Here is her
Symphony in E Minor “The Gaelic.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmLU1CfHcJw

Of contemporary composers, Kaija Saariaho “became famous,” recently by
being only the second female composer to have a work, L’Amor Loin,
performed by the Metropolitan Opera, and presented live in HD.  While it is
a beautiful, work and has been performed around the globe, Saariaho has
been famous outside of the U.S. for a while, an impressive body of work.  A
few brave U.S. orchestras have programmed her works, among them the
Boston Symphony.  Here is her “Circle Map” from 2002.  It won’t be to all
likings, but I find it fascinating and beautifully haunting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPnNZydMYEI

Then there’s the strange case of Hildegard von Bingen, who, practically invented
invented music (someone will take that literally and argue against it,
I’m 'sure).  Her Ordo Virtutum from 1151 predates other morality plays
by 'over a century and is still performed today.'

This is but a smattering of works by women who – dare I say it? – had
they been men would be far greater known than they are.  Additionally, peo
people generally want something "familiar" not "new."  This is as true in pop
popular music as it is in the classical world.  How many of us have been at a p
a popular music event when the crowd leaves disappointed because the ban
band played mostly new music when 90% only wanted to hear the songs the
they already knew?

Here's looking forward to a period when great and challenging music by m
more women can be heard and to a time when the composer's gender n
needn't even be a topic of discussion.

p.