Subject: Re: Mary Jo Heath (Met broadcaster during today's broadcast of L'Elisir)
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 13 Feb 2018 11:54:19 -0500

To be clear - I certainly have no objection to the idea of promoting the broadcasts. It's
the tone I tend to dislike, not the promotion itself. It's often just a little too fawn-y and
kvell-y for me. I know they're just trying to make it sound exciting and appealing, but I
think they would do just as well to just announce it, cheerfully, but without all the extra
oohs and ahhs. ;-) (And yes, the "put on a pot of coffee" thing was part of that tone. Yes,
it was "cute," but I think that's what I'm objecting to in general.)

If I'm being too hard on Siff and his vocal cadences, I apologize. As I think I said at the
time, I do appreciate his vast knowledge, and enthusiasm for the opera of the day. And
really, all 3 of the regular hosts have a lot to share. Sometimes what's scripted leaves a
bit to be desired, but really we've all done too much complaining over time about the
post-Peter Allen, Gelb era announcing format, and essentially, it's all good.

On Tue, 13 Feb 2018 16:13:04 +0000, Mike Leone <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I don't have any problem with Heath and Berger promoting the Sirius broadcast
following the live Met broadcast of the evening.  I am, however, glad that they seem to
have dropped that "put on a pot of coffee" thing, especially since the same broadcast will
most likely be available to hear three times during that week, and will probably be back in
the rotation before long.

Modify your settings: