Subject: Opera Newzzzzz
From: Bella Malis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 13 Feb 2018 09:53:30 -0700

At my advanced age… is simply a “matter of habit”.  I subscribed to Opera News many years ago to supplememt my collection of Saturday afternoon broadcasts, that I diligently made each and every Saturday during the season.  I discovered Met Radio broadcasts one Saturday afternoon in Chicago…..when I went looking for something to listen to on the radio……(before the days of television).  There was Milton Cross expounding in fluid tones about the current storyline.

I LEARNED FROM THE MASTER…WEEK AFTER WEEK.  That was when I was 10 or 15 years old…..and the love for opera has never ended.  Didn’t see my first opera live….on stage until many years later, I was married, had children, etc.  But the love was there.
Milton taught me, as well as Father Lee and Boris Goldofsky, etc.  The lectures were to
give us further appreciation of what we were to hear.

After I found the cassette recorder on my new AM/FM console, I found I could make copies of radio broadcasts, I was enthralled.  Starting in 1972 I started my “collection.”  I then found that there was a magazine that would come to my house weekly that would further enlighten me
as to the story, the history, what records I could find, and most of all would give me a complete cast of that broadcast.

As time went by, postal rates increased and the weekly magazine, became monthly.  Then they would have had too large a magazine to be financially able to send to readers.  All of a sudden they started cutting down on good articles…..and over time…..the story of the operas disappeared, the history disappeared, the good books disappeared to be available now only
online.  You print it out….use your ink and paper to get the articles.  Instead we got the bulk of
the magazine articles,  filled with hunks and dolls in states of undress.  So many bare bosoms, can become very tiring.

Then Peter Gelb arrived and decided that education is not worthy of promoting.  It is all shock
value.  Dark, dismal sets that depress us continuously.  No wonder we get no younger people interested in opera to continue the tradition.  He stills thinks that the Beatles are the same as
good opera.  You notice I said “Good Opera.”  That isn’t what we get any longer.  It is “good looking singers” who can get through an evening or afternoon…..not getting the best  to present.  It is ticket prices so high that it is no longer available for people who aren’t in the
millionaire class.  Last week I was watching the L’Elisir HD broadcast.  There was a women in the orchestra seats with four children with her.  Just think…..she dropped $1,000 for one
afternoon’s entertainment.  Who has that kind of money to do that.  Surely not the real opera fan.

Now we go through a season without much to glorify.  At the end of the season, there is a quiet sigh of relief.  ANOTHER SEASON, OVER AND DONE WITH.  What will they louse up next year.

I don’t read the articles.  I get the magazine for the listings of the four operas per month….
the casts and the credits……which now are in the last four pages of the magazine… if that isn’t important anymore.

Each time the magazine arrives, I check out which operas are going to be next, and who is singing what.  Most of the time I don’t recognize who is doing the singing.  Mostly people from
Europe and the eastern part thereof, because we don’t promote opera anymore in this country.  Who wants to become an “opera singer” in this country.  It isn’t “cool."

But at 86, I no longer expect anything good to come in my mailbox.  It is all solicitations for
contributions, political messages to further destroy what our great country should all be about….and bills to be paid monthly.  It is matter of “enduring” for what little time there is
to remember the glorious past and what it was……and what has become of it.

Modify your settings: