Subject: Re: Another announcer - David Elliott (WHRB Boston)
From: Russ Geschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 13 Feb 2018 09:11:35 -0600

According to information posted on the internet and just accessed, David
Elliott is a Harvard class of 1964 graduate, which makes him 76 or in his
76th year.
He apparently realizes that the vintage recordings he plays have a value
beyond being merely "scratchy recordings with faded voices." The earliest
recordings take the listener back 160 years to the mid-19th century, an
extraordinary bridge back into the past, and besides allowing us to hear the
beaux restes of the voices of some legendary singers, also document singing
styles and performance practices. Wouldn't you be willing to accept a bit of
surface scratch to hear a faded voice when the voice is that of for example,
such a legendary and tremendously important singer as Adelina Patti
(1843-1919, recorded December 1905 and June 1906), the most acclaimed singer
of her time, who had an international career up and running in the 1860s and
was the admired friend of among others Rossini and Verdi? And reportedly her
recording of Norma "Casta diva" incorporates ornamentation sung by the first
Norma, Giuditta Pasta, which Patti had learned directly from Maurice
Strakosch, who had accompanied Pasta in that music in the 1830s/1840s. I
know that there are many listeners and opera lovers who can't bear the sound
of old recordings – the "sound sissies" (I know, name calling, how not very
adult) – but that simply is an attitude I cannot understand given all the
history and beautiful singing contained in all those recordings, from the
earliest (even the aged Patti) right on up through Leider, Gigli and all the
many others leading into the 1940s.