Subject: Re: Maria Reining
From: Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 8 Feb 2018 18:53:05 +0000

I have no details on exactly what Reining did but there's no reason to
believe she was confused with someone else.

Krauss was a difficult case--it was rumored that he applied for Nazi
party membership but was denied on the basis he was an opportunist. He
personally corresponded with Hitler, applying for opera positions, and
was always willing to take the posts of those considered more suspect.
For instance, he became conductor at the Berlin State Opera after
Kleiber resigned to protest the banning of Lulu, and spoke negatively of
Berg's work even though he had earlier been a champion of it.

Krauss and his wife Ursuleac did support the efforts of British sisters
Ida and Louise Cook to help families escape from Germany and emigrate to
Britain. After the war Krauss was banned from public performances for a
couple of years; he was reinstated, largely due to his work helping the
Cooks.