Subject: Re: Opera Newzzzzzzzz
From: DK Conn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 12 Feb 2018 18:38:49 -0500

..."the service it provides has become increasingly non-essential."

I know this is a Met-centric list, but one might almost say that of the Met
itself, with its sadly dull programming and too-often timid productions.

For those of us not based in NYC, the attractive alternative (for roughly
the same expense) is to travel elsewhere to see new or rarely performed
operas, interesting productions, and (if going overseas) singers who don't
(or haven't yet) sung in the US.

As for the current brainless "fashion magazine" incarnation of Opera News,
that is a major reason why I quit the Met guild.

On Mon, 12 Feb 2018 17:58:56 -0500, Stephen Charitan <[log in to unmask]>
>I've been subscribing to Opera News since 1971...over the last few years it
>has become like the gas or electric bill  - something that comes in the
>mail with a degree of regularity - unlike the gas or electric bill the
>service it provides has become increasingly non-essential.
>Take the current issue as a case in point.  The MET is doing a rare Rossini
>masterpiece for the first time in 25 years - "Semiramide."  Not one article
>to address this outside of a cast list for the coming broadcast / movie
>cast.  What we get instead  is a multi-page bubble brained fashion shoot of
>Nebs in miscellaneous couture and coifs.  I am very close to getting out a
>black magic marker adding glasses and moustache to turn her into Groucho
>Netrebko.  I will then send it back to "editor" Paul Driscoll canceling my

Modify your settings: