Subject: Re: Opera Newzzzzzzzz
From: Peter Hammond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 12 Feb 2018 18:32:52 -0500

All fair enough, and similar to my own experience. I guess I'd like to be even fairer, just speaking for myself, and wonder whether we were in a different place then and might find today's articles as stimulating if we were newbies now. I remember, for example, an article from the mid-1970s in conjunction with -- okay, promoting -- a revival of Aida starring Leontyne Price. It talked about the special meaning of the role for an African-American soprano ("O patria mia, mai piu ti rivedro" as the   wealthy diva sings, to which her father reproaches her with, "Oh, really? 'Dei faraoni tu sei la schiava.'") At the time I thought it was the last word in profundity. Now I'd be like, yes, I get it, it's all right there and it is indeed very moving. Anyway, all this is to say that for me I can't compare today's Opera News with the editions I was so excited to receive long ago, and it may not be their fault. It may be because I've changed.

Or the magazine may simply have been dumbed down, like so much else. I haven't analyzed the question in depth. Stephen Charitan makes a good case. The fact that I'm already failing to recall the Netrebko fashion article he cites shows how quickly I must have skimmed over it.