Subject: LEAH CROCETTO's soprano soars through our home in private DC recital (2-11-18)
From: Alan Savada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 12 Feb 2018 09:13:39 -0500

One of the most special things we can do at our home every rare now and t hen is to invite special friends and clients to a private performance. We did just this yesterday when about 40+ folks gathered to hear soprano Leah Crocetto joined by pianist Tamara Sanikidze, who is a past graduate of our superb Domingo-Cafritz Young Artists program at the Washington National Opera. It was great to welcome Tamara back to DC as it has been close to a decade since she moved on and what a wonderful presence she is at the piano and what wonderful stories she tells about her life and the pieces presented. The crowd consisted of many people from the local opera biz including WNO, Washington Concert Opera, Levine School of Music, Catholic University School of Music, the In Series, the Creative Cauldron and more, all of which we are so happy to support.

Centuries ago patrons of the arts had recitals in their homes and this was how the arts were fostered and supported. Yesterday, Ms. Crocetto spoke at length about how important the arts are today in these times when too much hate is being vented. We all agreed and I think that the folks here truly appreciated her efforts as well as those of so many other singers in bringing the arts to those who sadly cannot get it.

Many of the folks here had never heard her sing before (in DC recitals, concerts, or as Aida or Mme. Lidoine with WNO) and I think a ton of tickets to the upcoming Don Carlo featuring her as Elisabetta with a stellar cast (opening March 3) were getting sold in the guests' minds!

The program included Strauss' Cacile, Rachmaninoff Songs, "Donde lieta usci" from Boheme, Tosca's "Vissi d'arte" (Ms. Crocetto had a huge success in this role debut in Pittsburgh earlier in the season) as well as some American favorites like "Somewhere" from West Side Story and "All the Things You Are."

There are few dramatic sopranos today who can offer up what Ms. Crocetto has to offer with such meaning and love. These two artists truly gave of their time and efforts to bring us such great pleasure. We thank them for their true devotion to the arts.

ALAN SAVADA of Washington, DC