Subject: Re: Another announcer - David Elliott (WHRB Boston)
From: Paul Ricchi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 12 Feb 2018 11:58:34 +0000

Yes, I posted that in anger - your observations were quite perceptive.

 I was not reacting to the comments about the obvious: the change in his
delivery. But the Google University of Medicine diagnoses of his
“affliction”, and the career advice, “…time to go” set me off.

This sort of thing creates, no, adds to the unflattering false impressions
of opera lovers held by the casual visitor to the Met, or occasional
readers of the list. The few thousand of us are -for the most part- are
audience members, the professionals usually lurk, rather than post. And the
list is Met centric, yet some think we are proprietors of the international
world of opera.

Many private messages from listers choosing not to enter the fray expressed
similar feelings.

Remember this is the same list (not the same people) who several years ago
hounded the family of a dying tenor on life support after he shot himself
in the head. Why? They were not giving frequent reports on his
condition....the list felt entitled to them.

Some would put Opera-L on a race to the bottom with Facebook. I think they
need to be discouraged.