Subject: Re: Lella Cuberli
From: Buoso Donati <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 11 Feb 2018 21:23:28 -0500

My only encounter with Cuberli was at the Met in Semiramide.
Her performance was far from special.

NYT: Lella Cuberli, a Texan who has earned a major European reputation in
recent years, made her Met debut in the title role. An attractive woman who
moves gracefully and with dramatic purpose, she portrayed Assur's partner in
regicide as a feline seductress who might have learned her wiles from Shaw's
Cleopatra. Her agile soprano, while not especially large or velvety, threw
off sparks in the coloratura portions of "Bel raggio lusinghier."

As I remember she was using a "technique" similar to Scotto's at the end of
her career, singing out of the side of her mouth in an attempt to control a

Modify your settings: