Subject: Re: Another announcer - David Elliott (WHRB Boston)
From: Russ Geschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 11 Feb 2018 19:21:25 -0600

Oh come on everybody.  Contrary to Ricchi's rant below, Mr. Elliot is,
emphatically, a public figure:  He is a well-known broadcaster who speaks
over the airwaves for all to hear and reaches thousands of people, and has
long served that part of the public that listens to classical music,
including opera.  The thread you started did not concern his private spoken
communications.  The subject was his public communication through his
broadcast work on WHRB..  He of course expects and perhaps receives from
time to time adverse feedback about his work.  People who are public figures
do not stay in public view unless they have developed something in the way
of a thick skin.  There is nothing "insensitive" or inappropriate about
constructively raising (as you did) the matter of the serious and alarming
deterioration in Elliot's ability to speak and therefore broadcast.  He
cannot be unaware of the deterioration in his delivery, but it is quite
possible that he is in some state of denial.  The very public decline of
respected public figures is painful to witness but cannot be avoided and is
properly addressed.  No one here he has written that they do not respect or
admire or "care" about Elliot, and in any case that's quite beside the
point.  The apparent problems besetting his on-air work are public and are
properly a subject for discussion.  As for being "shameless" (Ricchi below)?
Oh please.  Add that to this site's record of vituperative and bullying
postings.  And as the free (and ideally thoughtful) exchange of ideas and
information is a goal of OperaList, contributors should not be advised to
"shut the f**k up."  ("Can't we all just get along here?" ["Medee" Act 1].)