Subject: Re: Dramatic Verdian mezzos today
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 5 Feb 2018 11:15:56 -0700

Dear Zia Cloe and List,

This is an interesting question.  Obviously the last great dramatic mezzo
produced on the Italian peninsula was Luciana D'Intino who is only about
seven years younger then our beloved Dolora, but she is 59 years old and
over the years has rarely performed in North or South America.  I'm told
like Bartoli, she dislikes long travel.  She has chalked up a total of 6
performances at the Met, two each of Eboli, Amneris and Azucena between
2005 & 2009.  During those years, of course had Zajick but the Met seemed
to prefer Borodina, a gorgeous voice, in the big Verdi roles.  Personally I
always felt her voice was a bit short for them and a size or so too small
to boot.  You are right to say that except for a few Slavic mezzo, there is
seemingly no one in Italy to handle these roles.  There are a few who are
now in their late 50's and early 60's who for one reason or another, just
didn't get to this side of the pond.  The situation of course is the same
with the big voiced sopranos.  Yes, there is Anna Pirozzi, Maria Agresta
and Carmen Giannattasio, all very good sopranos, but none in the class of
Caniglia, Tebaldi , Stella, Chiara, Mancini, Cerquetti, not to mention the
many who had major, if not overwhelming careers in Italy but not elsewhere
- Pedrini, Frazzoni , Gavazzi, Santunione, Orlandi-Malaspina.  Its a
problem and seems to have no solution.   I am sure the babies are still
being born and might even be singing somewhere but so far they have not
been brought forward.  Perhaps the impressarios and managers are looking
for something different?  I have not mentioned Ghena Dimitrova, Anna
Tomowa-Sintow, Eva Marton, Maria Guleghina or Galina Gorchakova because the
focus here is on Italy.  Again, all Slavic sopranos, and except for a
nearly 60 year old Guleghina, none currently active (of course we lost the
great Dimitrova prematurely to cancer in 2005.  I think also, in Sharon
Sweet we had a mighty voice and immense talent that eventually succombed to
physical problems, but again, an American, not an Italian.

Am I wrong?  Have I missed something?

As for Marjorie Lawrence, it always seemed to be a falcon voice.  She never
was quite sure of where she was going.  With the Brunnhilde's, Sieglinde's,
Senta's, Alceste, Tosca, she also sang Aida and Amneris, Ortrud and other
swischenfacht (spelling?) roles early in her career.  Who knows what would
have happened.  The voice was secure throughout its range up to her last
staged and semi staged performances in the late 40's.

Donald