Subject: Dramatic Verdian mezzos today
From: Scott Grunow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 5 Feb 2018 12:21:24 -0500

Zajick is winding down. I think Anita La Rach  is her successor as a Verdian mezzo.

I've mentioned this before, but it seems the dramatic mezzos are coming from Eastern Europe, not from Italy, or if they do come from Italy, they only sing there, perhaps. \

Any other Verdian mezzo possibilities?

I was thinking Jamie Barton, but she seems more like a lighter, brighter "French" mezzo for roles like Didon, Charlotte, Leonor in La Favorite, etc.

I don't go the opera, I rarely even get out for an HD broadcast (financial and medical reasons), and thus I fear I live in the past, listening to Stignani, Barbieri, Bumbry, Dominguez, etc.

Mezzomaniac (still wondering if Marjorie Lawrence might have become a mezzo even if she had not been afflicted by polio, but the thread ended up being about David Poleri)