Subject: Re: Semaramide
From: Stephen Charitan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 5 Feb 2018 10:33:22 -0500

Gordon,

Thanks for posting this...I have enjoyed several encores.

Countertenors in general wear thin, with a few exceptions - Fagioli having
pride of place followed by Max Emanuel Cencic, and Bejun Metha.  Fagioli's
 brilliant CD of Rossini arias foretold the success he would have as Arsace
and I hope it leads to other ventures - perhaps Tancredi?  My one question
is how his voice competes with Rossini's orchestration in actual
performance. I can't imagine him pulling this off at the MET.  I was also
impressed by Salome Jicia as the Queen - at least in the brief bits in this
compilation.  Apparently the performance took place in Nancy

The production seems to be set in the mid 1700s rather than ancient Babylon
- perhaps a bow to Rodolfo Cellati's comment that with this work, Rossini
wrote the last great Baroque opera?

I remember the MET's "Archeological" production fondly and look forward to
seeing it live in a few weeks.  Hearing (and seeing) Angela Meade perform
"Dolce pensiero" during the HD Tosca intermission did not spark my
confidence - every note becomes a trill due to the prominent vibrato - or
is it a wobble now?  The lady is pachyderm - sized and I'm wondering how
she will be cinched into the glamorous costumes designed for Lella Cuberli
and June Anderson.  Perhaps they should go the "Caballe" route - a large
piece of black velvet with a hole cut in the middle and 2 more for the
arms...

Steve