Subject: Re: Met Fires John Copley
From: A Katalin Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 5 Feb 2018 10:03:01 -0500

I realize this is becoming more of a discussion about the insanity we live in than opera itself, but I have to comment on the note made by a lister that when he was a teacher these things did not happen.  That must have been more than a decade ago, because my husband, who was a very much beloved teacher of juniors and seniors at Brookline High School, told us at least 7 years ago that he no longer dared to put his arm around a student's shoulders needing consolation, or touch them in any way, since teachers were being reported if they did such a thing. Puritanism in this country is not a new thing, and with PC things got out of control a long time ago.  When did any of you dare to tell a sexist or ethnic joke outside the hearing of your nearest and dearest?
Kati