Subject: Re: Met Fires John Copley
From: Isaac Alan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 5 Feb 2018 02:11:36 +0000

I don't know about "Brave New World" I think this is more like Cringing Very Old World.

The gender is absolutely irrelevant, the comment ( as reported) was neither offensive nor threatening, not even overtly sexual in the serious sense.

Back in the 1950s, ex cavalry officer Lt Col Wintle was judging an equestrian event, when the local mayor whispered in his ear "I say, these young women look damn fetching  in their riding britches what?

To which Wintle replied "Not half as fetching as they'd look out of them."

We used to find this kind of thing humorously rewarding,  we all knew well enough, that nobody was in danger of molestation or offense.  I was a fairly good looking 19yo when I joined the theatrical world, I lost count decades ago of how many times I was propositioned, winked at, and joked about in a pointed sexual manner in those early days, but nobody ever grabbed me, plotted against me, or offended me in any way.

What ever happened to the development of a thicker skin, what has happened to "Sticks and stones may break my bones....."?

Regards,

Isaac Alan