Subject: Re: Met Fires John Copley
From: Frank Cadenhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 4 Feb 2018 15:10:01 -0500

This is more like the first version I heard and the chorus member, not a native
English speaker, might have misunderstood. In any case, without any thought or
evaluation, this action was taken. And, everyone should note, James Levine was
not fired, he is only "suspended."

There is a leadership crisis at the Met. Gelb just lost one of his main artistic
advisors and his new music director, Yannick Nezet-Seguin, is contracted to start
the 2020-21 season. Who is making artistic decisions there? Can we assume
Levine is blocked? Can we assume that Nezet-Seguin has input about artistic
issues, casting, operas, etc. for those earlier seasons? Does he attend auditions for
the orchestra? Or does he not? Is he being paid outside of his contract? We have
an interregnum here and the American press thinks that the public should stay
ignorant about what is going on in the major classical music institution in the
United States. This would not happen in other countries.

Frank Cadenhead

On Sun, 4 Feb 2018 10:24:03 +0000, Peter Withey <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
>The story was reported on Friday in the Daily Telegraph.
>http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/02/britains-leading-opera-director-
john-copley-sacked-making-sexually/