Subject: Happy Super Bowl Sunday from the BSO and Philadelphia Orchestra - BSO Shostakovich Fourteenth
From: Mia Randolph <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 4 Feb 2018 07:35:50 -0500

From Yannick and the Philly Orchestra musicians
https://youtu.be/DXtCIb1IAKw

The BSO has done this so many times at this point that they have Andris' lighting down
https://youtu.be/2XZSmrKiq28

For this weekend's BSO program (Mozart Gran Partita and Shostakovich Fourteenth
Symphony), Andris Nelsons sat out on the Mozart and only conducted the Shostakovich with
his wife, Kristine Opolais, singing the soprano role. The program insert indicated it was
because Nelsons had a cold.

I'm not a Mozart fan but the orchestra did a decent job conductorless.

The Shostakovich was very, very good. Nelsons got a perfect performance from the BSO
musicians. Opolais is not one of my favorite sopranos but we see her a lot in Boston because
she's married to Nelsons and the wealthy Boston patrons need to see attractive blondes on
stage - vocal difficulties or otherwise. Her performance was initially lackluster but ultimately
decent. Alexander Tsymbalyuk, who stepped in after Terfel withdrew, sounded wonderful.

Big, tough Nelsons let a cold take him down? It's an omen. This is Philly's year.