Subject: Re: Trov Question on Tempo
From: tom ponti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 4 Feb 2018 13:00:46 +0000

It seems to me the tempo depends on how big a super star the singer is, at least today. I doubt Toscanini cared how popular a singer was when he conducted. Muti, it seems, went by the score no matter what any singer wanted. In yesterday's Trovatore, I doubt any of the cast had influence over the conductor.