Subject: Re: not an aria, a horror show...
From: Raphael1946 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 3 Feb 2018 17:43:16 -0500

I have lurked on this chat group for years. My debut FWIW. There were some exciting,
riveting moments in today's performance especially from the Azucena, Ms. Rachvelishvili.
She can take her place among the best mezzos in this role.

The audience response was fairly muted. I think the singers deserved better but no, this is
not a desert island production.

 Mr. Kelsey sounds more like a bass baritone who can float some high notes in a rather
throaty style. I don't think the Count is suited for his voice. He sounded more like Bryn
Terfel on a down day. Still a committed performance.

There seems to be an absolute dearth of Verdi baritones unless they're singing in other
companies. I don't know if we'll ever have a singer to rival Merrill, Warren, Bastianini, Milnes
et al.

The tenor sounded very forced and didn't seem to be in synch with the conductor in many
spots although there were some endearing moments, Ai Nostri Monti, for example.

Ms. Rowley certainly has a huge voice from top to bottom (chest voice I'm not to used to
hearing in Leonora) and for the most part sang beautifully especially in the last two acts but
the pacing seemed glacial, e.g, D'amor sul ali rose. Technically brilliant but interpretively not
there yet but certainly a young, very impressive voice.