Subject: Re: when is an aria not an aria? - was extra long musical introductions
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 3 Feb 2018 17:14:54 -0500

Sweet Baby Jesus.  I guess we can't even attempt humor here any longer.  You entirely
missed my point - it was a joke in response but I guess my reference to Violetta blackening
the eyes of anyone who called it . . . oh, never mind.  They're right when they say humor
doesn't translate well on the internet . . at least my brand, I guess.

p.

* * * * *

"Let's not get ridiculous. . . . It is crazy and a dissevice to say that a mere interjection of "si"
renders an other wise long, vocally showy solo piece NOT an aria. . . . In the case of "Ah fors'
e lui" - the (possibly original) Ricordi score says "scena ed aria." Scena, naturally, would refer
to the orchestrally-accompanied recit - and then the rest is an aria, regardless of Alfredo's
singing. . . Come on, folks...really??