Subject: When is an aria not an aria
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 3 Feb 2018 17:52:03 +0000

Sorry, Kurt, I'm nowhere near finished.

The definition is not "mine"; it is the technical and
dictionary definition, for which I offered one example.
An extreme example to be sure, but a correct one!

For this I received the following - ridiculous, crazy and a
disservice to the word "aria" as though that word had some
intrinsic value greater than any other musical form. Let the
pejoratives roll!

I would ask anyone on this forum to tell me exactly when, in
their opinion, an aria becomes a duet. Is it when each has
50% of the music, 60-40, 90-10, when? I assure you that
for every answer, though I suspect there will be few to none,
there will be as many who will disagree, because it has no
clinically correct answer. If two soloists participate, it is,
at least by definition, a duet. That isn't going to change, no
matter how loudly one may, metaphorically, scream or stamp
feet.

Scream and stamp away!

Bob