Subject: Re: Tosca HD
From: David Shengold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 3 Feb 2018 00:46:21 +0000

Donald, it was a vocal disaster in every way. I was there too, still in my teens and a rabid Leonie fan after hearing her stunning Sieglinde , Elisabeth and Kaiserin live. I knew from recordings that she could be variable in Italian rep but that night she sounded just dreadful, even on the high notes: the only thing good was the patented scream accompanying Tosca's breaking the wine glass on the table before stabbing Scarpia. It was very unfortunate for an anniversary performance ( my parents said her 25th was a triumph, but then I was backpacking in Europe).
One more memory of that TOSCA-- it was among the greatest Domingo evenings I ever heard, he really came though in compensation and gave every indication of doing so it in support of Rysanek, not trying (Cossotto-like) to take advantage of her weak form.
Best- David Shengold

 Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>

I was at that Rysanek Tosca.  It was her twentieth anniversary in 1979.  I
was thrilled (as I always was, no matter how well she did or did not sing)
but I don't remember it as being any kind of a vocal disaster.  But then
again, where Leonie was concerned, I always had a thick pair of blinders on=
.

Donald