Subject: Re: when is an aria not an aria? - was extra long musical introductions
From: k youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 2 Feb 2018 16:40:43 -0600

OK, Bob —

For this I officially accuse you of picking nits! <G>

Seriously though, although it’s only one note, it does fit the category I mentioned. It’s not an uninterrupted aria.

Next topic: what would we call a section of a duet that’s longer than a few lines? Again I draw on Puccini for my example: In the Tosca Act I duet there are two such instances. Mario sings “O dolci mani” and Tosca sings “Non la sospiri, la nostra casetta?” Are these examples of the arietta?

Kurt Youngmann

> On Feb 2, 2018, at 12:51 PM, Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> "Si. Mi chiamano Mimi" Rodolfo's "Si" smack dab in the middle makes
> it a duet, if you care ;-)
>
> Next!
>
> Bob

"Politics is the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn't happen." - Winston Churchill