Subject: Re: Tosca HD
From: Michael McPherson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 2 Feb 2018 15:35:22 -0500

I too went to the Tosca HD encore in Manhattan. The mostly positive things I had read online turned out to be true. My first Tosca was in the mid-50’s with Renata Tebaldi (I believe Jussi Bjorling was suppose to sing but cancelled. I can’t recall the tenor). Tebaldi was in great voice and this was the standard I judged all future Tosca(s). Other Tosca(s) include Birgit Nilsson on singing Visi d’arte doing pushups (but singing gloriously); a disastrous Tosca sung by Leonie Rysanek at an anniversary performance (an unfortunate evening especially since I was a huge fan of Rysanek); and many many others. But I loved this Tosca and all the cast— including Grigolo (sorry Angelo) — plus the sets. I had thought Gelb wanted to get away from  Zeffirelli grand productions but this Tosca was more Zeffirelli than Zeffirelli.

A wonderful afternoon.

Michael

Michael J. McPherson