Subject: Re: when is an aria not an aria? - was extra long musical introductions
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 2 Feb 2018 14:32:18 -0500

Violetta's Act 1 ending scena, starting with "Eh strano!" then the aria that fo
follows along with its ensuing cabaletta make for one of the greatest and mo
most beloved (and performed) scenes in all of opera.

But wait . . . Alfredo has a reprise of his "amore" theme from earlier in the
act to which Violetta not only responds, but redoubles her belief in "sempre libera
libera."  So, does this suddenly make it a duet?  Don't tell the soprano, she
may just blacken your eyes!

p.