Subject: Tosca HD
From: Angelo Mammano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 1 Feb 2018 22:40:16 -0500

I was at the Assembly Square AMC in nearby Somerville to see the Tosca
HD on Wednesday.  I will never go to that theater again but that is another
story.  I had heard it previously twice and of course was eager to see what
happens on stage.  The first act setting was super colossal and in fact all
three settings were extraordinary.  The Angelotti and the other secondary
roles were well handled and the Sciarrone in particular was fearsome.
Lucic was one of the best Scarpias I have ever seen but I was still not
taken with his sound which is monotonous.  Both Yoncheva and Grigolo
were really committed to  their roles and both obviously had much
rehearsal time to flesh out their characters.  Both have lyric voices and
Grigolo in particular was out of his depth vocally while at the same time a
very sympathetic Mario.  I felt that I was suffering along with him
in his tribulations.  Again I have to mention that Villaume is unsuited to the
opera. After 8 or so performances he was a better accompanist than at  the
prima but in Vissi d'Arte and E lucevan he was a total misfit.  He did
not "breath with the singers" as Jimmy would say.  He dragged, caught up
and then dragged again.  I am definitely looking forward to Semiramide
after hearing Meade rehearse.  All in all, a superior afternoon.

Angelo from Boston