Subject: Re: Extra Long Musical Introductions to Arias
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 1 Feb 2018 21:23:28 -0500

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 8:41 PM, Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Sometimes the Prelude to an act is also the introduction to an aria and
> those will tend to be longer. That’s true of “Tu, che le vanita” and “Dich
> teure Halle” already mentioned and snother of my favorites. “Ecco l’orrido
> campo.”
> I guess that’s also true of the tenor arias that open the second acts of
> “Rigoletto” and “La Traviata.”
> Max Paley

This crossed my mind when I thought about Ulrica's aria in UN BALLO.

Some great examples were already mentioned (oh, "Tu che le vanita" -
gorgeous!). I also love how Puccini infused an unbelievable dramatic
intensity into the orchestral music that immediately precedes "Vissi
d'arte". I don't know though if it counts as the instrumental introduction
to the aria in a strictly integral sense.

Vesna