Subject: Re: Ariadne
From: Mike Leone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 8 Feb 2018 02:20:30 +0000

Hello all--

I wouldn't call it necessarily my favorite recording (if I had to pick one, it would be the RCA Victor), but I recently had the chance to hear Beecham's 1950 broadcast of the opera proper from 1912, with only lip service paid to the prologue which was not part of the 1912 work in any event, and just enough of it to set up the unusual circumstances of the opera itself.  Zerbinetta's aria is in particular more difficult than it later became and she gets some more florid stuff to sing near the end.
I really think that Ariadne auf Naxos is a glorious opera and I love the contrasts during the opera proper.  Austin Lyric Opera just finished presenting the work.  I didn't have a chance to go because of schedule conflicts but I did get some reports on it, including one person's comment that he thought it was bizarre and while he was glad he went to see it once, he never wants to see it again.  There is no accounting for taste, as the saying goes, but I wouldn't miss a chance to see Ariadne auf Naxos, and I wish I could have seen it in Austin.  I especially heard lots of good comments about the Ariadne, Alexandra LoBianco, and hope I'll get to hear her in person one day.
Mike Leone
[log in to unmask] il Leone!