Subject: Re: Operatic Inertia
From: Mike Leone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 8 Feb 2018 02:13:11 +0000

I don't find HGO's season quite as uninteresting as Max does, although I wish I could understand the appeal of Florencia en el amazonas.  I saw it at the University of Houston a few years ago, and thought it was a crashing bore.  And I'm not in principle opposed to the new operas, although I haven't found that many that I really enjoy.  I love Akhnaten which I find far superior to Satyagraha and I'm excited at the rumors that the Met is going to present it in a couple of years.

HGO has done Florencia twice in the past.  When an announcer at the local classical station KUHF, which has now gone online only, would announce the premiere performances in 1996, he would pronounce "en" the way the French do, i.e., "Florencia 'ahn' en el amazonas."  Worse, when HGO brought it back in 2001, the same guy was there announcing it and was still mispronouncing "en."  I don't know if he is still there, but I probably won't have a chance to find out because I pretty much stopped listening to KUHF when it switched to online only.
Mike Leone
[log in to unmask] il Leone!