Subject: Re: Favorite Ariadne recording?
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 7 Feb 2018 19:27:21 -0500

Rich and list,

That 1944 live recording is a vintage ARIADNE that I wouldn't want to be
without (while also sharing with Rich some degree of discomfort given the
wartime circumstances). If you are open for more live recordings then the
1954 Salzburg with Della Casa, Siegfried, Gueden, Schock, again under Bohm
would be my second choice. (I'm thrilled to read Bob R.'s endorsement of
Della Casa's sublime Ariadne.) Among several good studio choices, I go back
to Kempe who, of all conductors, carried Bohm's mantle most fittingly for
this opera, IMO. The cast is mostly good to excellent, led by Janowitz's
wonderful Ariadne. Kempe's conducting and ensemble is anything but
artificial and deliberate, which I'm afraid mars the recording with
Schwarzkopf and Karajan. (Though this is my favorite Strauss opera, there
are some studio recordings I haven't heard, including Leinsdorf).

On video, the Salzburg production from the 60s has Bohm in the pit, the
marvelous Jurinac as Composer, Reri Grist's superb Zerbinetta, .... enough
golden singing and conducting to have this video despite a slightly
inferior Ariadne by comparison. I also very much enjoy the Met's
performance under Levine with a truly great cast (Jesse Norman, Troyanos,
Battle - wow!). I saw a couple of modern productions, including
Glyndebourne's disastrous directorial approach that totally sidetracked
from the Strauss-Hofmmanstahl conception, but they are easily forgettable.
I'm also curious if there are any other video recommendations.

One recording I think is worth exploring is the one I actually haven't yet
heard but is high up on my bucket list: the original version led by Nagano
with Margaret Price's Ariadne, Sumi Jo's Zerbinetta, and Winbergh's
Bacchus. Besides the historical attraction to hear the opera's early
version, the cast also surely looks very promising.

Vesna