Subject: Operatic Inertia
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 7 Feb 2018 17:42:38 -0500

David Kubiak wrote:

"Well, it was bound to happen -- the first season since 1964 when there is nothing at the Lyric
[Opera of Chicago] I am interested in seeing."

I feel the same way about Houston Grand Opera's just-announced 2018-19 season.  Nothing
really interesting and no singers I am particularly excited to hear.  I might go to the
Dutchman and the Don Giovanni if I feel so inclined.  Maybe there will be a pleasant surprise
among the singers.  Other than those two, I will stay home.

I wonder how many other Listers experience Opera Inertia like I do: with advancing age, and
with hundreds of operatic performances under my belt and loads of great memories, it takes
something really special to get me out of the house.  I envy younger opera fans, with more
energy and a fresher slate for new experiences than I have.

The exception is travelling: if I am on a trip, domestic or abroad, I will catch an opera
performance wherever I can, particularly in opera houses I have not been in yet.

MDW