Subject: Re: Dramatic Verdian mezzos today
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 6 Feb 2018 13:10:45 -0500

Semenchuk's Amneris was riveting in the recent Salzburg production and her
Lady Macbeth in San Francisco was quite something, a force of nature to say
the least.

One more mezzo name, Elena Zhidkova who almost stole the show with her
Principessa di Bouillon in Vienna. Her recent Eboli was also quite well
received, though Verdi is not her singular specialty - a versatile mezzo
with roles ranging from Charlotte and Santuzza to Ortrud. (I have to
mention how much Stoyanova gave one of the best performances of her life,
IMO in that same DON CARLO. If anyone thinks that she is
interpretatively plain,
they should check out her spectacular Elisabetta from last summer.)

Vesna