Subject: Re: Met Parsifal Prima: Welcome to Monsalvat
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 6 Feb 2018 09:48:10 -0700

David,

Your not getting old and grumpy - like me, you probably formed your notion
on how a Parsifal should sound via Sandor Konya and Jon Vickers.  Vogt is
an acquired taste.  It's a really weird kind of voice.  As for Herlitzius,
I'm sure in person, she was wonderful - she is a beautiful woman, but she
is in her mid 50's and has been pushing the envelope for years.  She
reminded me a lot of Martha Moedl.  Similar vocal qualities and hard
edges.  I've heard some really good Parsifal's - Konya and Vickers who were
great, King, Domingo sang it very well.  It looks like we have to go with
what we've got.  I'm sure Kaufmann would have been vocally much more
agreeable and Kundry is a role I'd have loved to have heard Dolora Zajick
sing.  If I might digress, for me, the great Kundry's of my experience were
Christa Ludwig, Leonie Rysanek and Waltraud Meier.  I guess the organ toned
Jessye Norman belongs there too.  That's not what we heard last night.  The
orchestra and Nezet-Seguin were heaven.

Donald