Subject: Re: Met Parsifal Prima: Welcome to Monsalvat
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 6 Feb 2018 11:37:54 -0500

I have complete respect for Don's expert opinions, and although I didn't
hear Pape yesterday, I have no doubt he continues to be an extraordinary
Gurnemanz.  But I tuned in in the middle of Act II and could not believe my
ears.  The music seemed to be 'Parsifal', but the tenor sounded like a bad
Mime.  In fact I would argue that Vogt does not really do opera singing in
the European tradition at all, but is a kind of pop cross-over singer,
complete with constantly raised larynx.  I know that with age I'm getting
grumpy about the state of singing today, but Jon Vickers was my first
Parsifal, and what I heard last night might make one weep over how far we
have fallen.  And the Kundry -- another ugly wobbling screamer.  I wish I
had been able to listen to Pape in the last act to recover.

David Kubiak