Subject: Re: Met Fires John Copley
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 5 Feb 2018 17:53:56 -0500

RP wrote:

"Now AGMA is saying there could have been a good, amicable solution [to l'affaire Copley]
without such hastiness."

Indeed.  How about Gelb approaching Copley privately, informing him of the offense and
cautioning him to be more judicious in his remarks, and then Copley apologizing - privately -
to the offended individual?  Seems common sense to me.  But then, in today's destructively
hyper-sensitive culture, common sense is not at all common.

Another solution when someone says something someone else finds offensive: assume the
offender did not mean to give offense, talk to them privately, and be gracious about it.

Always assuming the worst of other people, even people we dislike, is not conducive to a civil
society.  It certainly happens too often on this List (and I have certainly been guilty of it
myself).  And it has infected our political culture in a profoundly destructive way.

MDW