Subject: Slimming Costumes (was Re: Semaramide)
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 5 Feb 2018 17:42:08 -0500

The kind of costume Caballe (and Jessye Norman) usually wore, was a dark under-gown with
a slimmer lighter-colored panel down the front.  This minimized the girth by darkening it, and
the eye was drawn to the more slender lighter panel.  I think it was Carol Vaness who
referred to this kind of thing as a "skunk costume."

Another kind of slimming costume is a dark undergarment with a lighter sleeveless over-
costume.  As I recall, Jessye Norman wore this kind of costume in "Troyens" in '83-'84.

Semiramide is a static role with little movement, so I don't see that Meade's size will be a
problem - if she sings it well.  I think Meade is a fine singer.  I can understand how her
vibrato would not be to all tastes, but it is hardly a wobble.  I also think that mics exaggerate
her vibrato to a degree I don't hear in person.  In any event, I am looking forward to the

Modify your settings: