Subject: Re: Met Fires John Copley/Levine situation
From: Daniel Layne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 5 Feb 2018 14:24:05 -0500

I think there is far more to this Copley firing story than what was given to the press.
Surely Gelb and the Met had valid reasons for their actions. I can't belive they would hastily
fire Copley without consulting all parties involved and assessing the situation.
Obviously the chorister in question felt he was harrassed and traumitized. Every employee
at the Met deserves to work in a safe and harrassment free workplace.
Perhaps they have taken a zero tolerance policy on this and fired Copley accordingly. If in
fact, Copley told the chorister he would like to see him naked in his bed, (or whatever the
words were), how could this not be construed as sexual harrassment?
That Copley is elderly is irrelevant. Bad behavior is bad behavior.
As for the Levine situation, I wonder what will happen next?
Of course it would be best if Levine was permanently removed. It would seem the Met
would want to put some finality to the situation.
Perhaps they are still trying to figure out a graceful way to orchestrate his exit.
The Met's 2018-19 new season announcement is just a week or so away. Will they mention
the Levine situation before then, or will they say nothing and let the season announcement
speak for itself? Will there be a lot of TBA conductors in the new season announcement?
Stay tuned..........

Modify your settings: