Subject: Re: Maria Ewing (was "So Long Met - Hello World")
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 31 Jan 2018 19:28:08 -0500

Maria Ewing was very good in Salome, and also as Blanche in "Dialogues des Carmelites."  I
also loved her Cherubino.  But her Carmen at the Met, in the Peter Hall production, was so
awful it had hair on it.  Dido was a disaster, too.  I think what finished her off was all that
forced barking she did in the middle register.  She was basically a lyric mezzo soprano and
she pushed her voice disastrously.  Result: complete burnout way too soon.  The same old
sad story we have seen over and over again.  Also, I know she went through a serious
emotional trauma during her divorce from Peter Hall which certainly would not have helped
her singing.

MDW