Subject: Re: Maria Ewing (was "So Long Met - Hello World")
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 31 Jan 2018 16:51:34 -0600

Paul:
   I must concur with you.  The Ewing Salome on DVD is a real shocker ---- scary as hell, and I love watching it.  I also love that Macbeth with Barstow and Poskalis (which I also have on DVD).  Two outstanding performances that really pack a wallop.  Wouldn't want to be without either of them.
   I saw Grace Bumbry do a fabulous Salome in Chicago.  She had no problems with the role vocally, and those top notes just oozed out like lava. Her interpretation was very unique (she sat on the stage and played with the head as though it were a child's doll!).
   I must take issue with you on Caballe', however.  I've seen two videos of Salome with Caballe' and while I acknowledge her physically inappropriate appearance in the role, nevertheless somehow managed to make it work for me.  She was costumed as tastefully as possible, and in one production actually did the Dance (which was close to minimal), but she sang the hell out of the role and she really sang the music beautifully, interpolating some soft notes that were like peaches and cream.  Perverse as my taste may be, I actually found it to be one of her most convincing assumptions.  I also very much like her RCA commercial recording from 1969.  I've always been rather critical of Caballe, but there's something about her voice that to me takes on a sense of drama that I find absent in her Italian and French singing.  I must be the only one here that feels like that, but there it is.