Subject: Re: Another Salome (was Maria Ewing)
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 31 Jan 2018 22:42:23 +0000

Fortunate are you that you didn't have to suffer through
Helga Pilarczyk, who came to the United States with a
string of great reviews in a number of roles. Well, I went
to Philadelphia in 65 to see her Salome, and the shock was
palpable. It was both vocally and visually a disaster.

She later sang Marie in Wozzeck at the Met and it was
hardly better. It was also my first performance of that
opera, and even she could not diminish my admiration
for the work. To this day, it is, in my view, a great opera,
despite her efforts.

As far as I know, it was "over and out" for her in the USA
after those two engagements. That could be wrong!

Bob