Subject: Re: Maria Ewing (was "So Long Met - Hello World")
From: Paul Ferraro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 31 Jan 2018 17:09:58 -0500

I just knew that if I waited long enough I would find another fan of Ms.
Ewing's Salome.  I, too, attended several of her performances with the
then Washington Opera (must have been nearly 30+ years ago).

Admittedly, I never met a Salome I didn't love (with the notable
exceptions of Karita Mattila, who was simply ludicrous, appearing like a
washed-up old hooker & Montserrat Caballe, of whom I have too much
respect & love to chance seeing her making a fool of herself).  But, I
digress - I was a young pre-teen when I went to the Met to see Inge
Borkh as the long time standard-setter for this wild role.
Subsequently, either in person, or on video I've seen Nilsson, Rysanek,
Phyllis Curtin, Nina Stemme, Teresa Stratas, Catherine Malfitano, &
finally Maria Ewing.  Each of these ladies made their unique impressive
contributions, either vocally or creating/acting the character.  You can
just imagine Rysanek & Nilsson "peeling the paint & raising the roof",
for example.

Maria Ewing represented the perfect characterization of the role & the
fact that Kennedy Center's opera house is not the barn-sized Met,
presented no problem for her vocal resources.  Other than the obvious
sexy provocations, she was perfection as the obsessed, crazed lascivious
teen, especially when she kept demanding Jokanaan's head.  The
insistence & repetitions were almost frightening - as though she would
spring on Herod & attempt to rip him apart with her claws....I am not
beginning to adequately explain what she created, but I think a video is
available.

One other soprano I'd give anything to have seen in this role is
Josephine Barstow, who is my absolute fav Lady Macbeth on the video with
Kostas Paskalis.

Heads, ummm, hats off to Ms. Ewing!

Paolo