Subject: Maria Ewing (was "So Long Met - Hello World")
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 31 Jan 2018 12:54:16 -0500

Maria Ewing is alive and well and living in . . . London, I believe.  She's
slowed down (pushing 70) but for twenty or so years post Met, was quite a
lady of the cabaret scene and, while I’m certain many here would poo-poo her, she developed a following, and the same savvy instincts that served her well onstage, did the same in jazz and night club gigs.

(Sidenote:  Ewing
her, she developed a following, and the same savvy instincts that served he
her well onstage, did the same in jazz and night club gigs.

(Sidenote:  Ewing’s daughter Rebecca Hall, from her marriage with Sir
Peter Hall, has grown into a world class beauty as well as an award winning
actress of distinction starring in myriad roles on television, in film, but is
mostly known for her stage work throughout England, the U.S. and
throughout Europe.  Until his death, she starred in a number of plays
directed by her father – the last being “Twelfth Night” where she was Viola.)

I’ve always been a fan of Ms. Ewing’s and saw her Salome a number of
times, including most of the performances in Washington mentioned by
Ghozel.  I recall one performance – I was in Standing Room – where
immediately after the dance, two old biddies noisily pronounced, “well I
never in all my days . . . “ etc., as they noisily clutched their purses and
stepped over people to get out to the aisle for an early departure.  There
was a lot of “sussshhing” and more than a few snickers.  I felt bad for the ca
cast, particularly Miss Ewing, but something tells me she enjoyed herself.

During that run a very young, gay friend of mine (in his early 20s) met
Miss Ewing who invited him to dinner.  Afterwards, she asked him back to
her hotel.  He explained he was gay, and she essentially said, “Oh, I know,
honey, I’m just a sad, lonely lady on the road who’s missing her family
something awful.”  The stayed up most of the night.

Here, for those who care for such things, is a handful of Ms. Ewing in her chanteuse mode,
chanteuse mode, both live and in the studio.  I love her still.

It Never Was You
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fLbSncva4Q

Spring is Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYCeXGOhUPA