Subject: So Long Met - Hello World: Post Met Careers
From: Ghozel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 31 Jan 2018 08:57:52 -0500

I have always loved Ewing's guts and artistry.  Her famous "take it all off in front of the full moon" Salome was just spectacular.  I saw her do it at The Kennedy Center in DC (I assume part of the Washington Opera season).  The audience was filled with the conservative hoards that haunted D.C. during the Reagan era.  They were audibly shocked. The applause lasted literally three seconds, and everyone rushed for the exits.  I was appalled that they would treat such a great performance with such disdain.

Years later, I saw her in Fedora with Domingo at the LA Opera.  Her top notes were gone, but her magnetic stage presence and acting artistry have ruined all other Fedoras for me.

My guess is she didn't have much of a late career because her voice was literally gone.

Subject: Re: So Long Met - Hello World: Post Met Careers

What about Maria Ewing? A puzzling career, woman, artist.
Bob L