Subject: Re: Met Tosca in HD/Radio
From: Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 29 Jan 2018 08:39:22 -0500

So, I give.  Why the hating on people who don't agree with your enthusiasm?
Has this country gone so bonkers that we even see hate-filled diatribe
because people of good faith disagree on an artistic endeavor, art being a
subject that frequently divides but in days not so long ago the divide
remained civilized?

Why this need to be superior and cast aspersion on folks who don't happen to
agree with your 'enlightened' position?  Why insult people on the basis of
their not having the perfect insight you have?  Why taunt people because
they simply don't agree?

The decline of the greater civilization has been popular meme among a
certain group of people in the world outside opera.  Based on comments like
those below (and others) the warnings might take on greater urgency.  I'm
not arguing that we should all agree, as apparently the fine folks below
think (as long as we all agree with them, of course);  I'm just saying that
we should celebrate the art form, recognize that we all approach it with our
own perspective, and engage, when there is disagreement, respectfully.

Telling folks to just stay home if you don't agree with a perspective or to
wise up and eat a shoe to show obeisance to a superior really does take the
edge off of the enjoyment of this art form.  That said, and in defiance of
the scolds, I'll continue may haphazard journey through the world of opera
and not be made to feel small and insignificant by anyone, not even those
who feel they are the arbitrators of the art.

To those who found the soprano squally, the baritone barky, the tenor inept,
the conductor sluggish, the sets jejune, the costumes drab, the chorus flat,
the audience uninformed, I suggest that in the future you just stay home.
You'll save money and I guarantee that what ever broadcast you attend, you
won't like. You might take a notepad and visit an art museum. You could
write down everything you find wrong with the paintings and sculptures and
feel good about yourself, knowing you have superior tastes than the scum of
society that goes to trash like the Tosca this past Saturday and gives a
standing ovation to the shitfest you were exposed to. Just a suggestion.

**

We who listen over the airwaves and then are absolutely certain and strong
of our opinions (I've done it myself on several occasions) have no right to
have a voice.  It's like seeing only one part of that elephant that the
blind children saw.  It's unfair to the singers, it's unfair to the
director,  and it is unfair to the production itself which none of us can
see.

I'd love the opinion of one who actually SAW the production AFTER dissing it
over the airwaves and see what they come up with.  I guarantee it will be an
enlightening experience for them.  (I would suggest that mayonnaise and a
little mustard will help get the sole of that shoe down easier if you chew
it slowly.)