Subject: THE OPERA HOUSE
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 29 Jan 2018 09:02:56 -0500

I recall a few appreciative notices of this documentary
when it was previewed about a month ago, and wondered
if it would be eligible for Academy Award nomination.  It
gets my Oscar, and I think Leontyne Price deserves one
too for her participation - in a category all her own.

Interestingly, there are hardly any singers mentioned in the
film other than Ms. Price and Caruso, and singing is not
featured at all; the subject is the "house", old one and new
one, so if you expect a lot of music, you'll be disappointed.

Younger Met attendees may notice the gorgeous presence
of the gold curtains that were prominent, integral features of
both the old and new house before it was decided, for whatever
reason, that we don't need it any more, a plain black roller
shade is good enough these days, no matter how it fights
with the interior of the auditorium.

dtmk